LOG ON REQUIRED!!

Sorry, but the menu you just clicked is non-operational for anyone who is not logged in. Already a member? Log on here. Not a member? Register here. There's lots to see and do once you are signed in!

Subscription required!

The Wiki and the VIN Decoder are accessible by subscribed members only. If you are subscribed, you can also choose to hide the WIKI/VIN panel and Quick Links menu

If you would like to subscribe, or simply see more information about subscribing, please click here

Edit your...

Find my posts

PM Options

Edit your...

View Memberlist by....

QUICK LINKS

V6 exhaust bracket - modification to prevent failure

Info on all the projects 75 & ZT Enthusiasts are currently involved with...

Re: V6 exhaust bracket - modification to prevent failure

Post Number:#16  Post by KDA4G » January 15th, 2014, 9:48

It's not so much a question of the strength of the metal - that's about the same - but stainless steel happens to have some other features which make it seem a bit tougher and more resilient, and it would not be so likely to suffer from pitting due to corrosion, if that is a factor. Whether these different qualities are sufficient to make a difference to the service life of the component would depend upon the failure mode.

http://www.bssa.org.uk/topics.php?article=125

In this case, it's almost impossible to calculate the stresses under failure conditions. If the exhaust hangers have failed completely (unlikely), then the entire weight of the exhaust system is hanging off this bracket with lots of leverage. The distortion of the failed bracket samples suggests that it then starts to deform, and finally break through repeated reverse bending at relatively low stress levels.

What's the weight of a complete exhaust system, roughly - say 15kg, or more than that?

From the photographs, it looks like the measurements at the point of fracture are about 1cm by 3mm thick = 30mm sq. cross section. That's not much - about the same as one M6 bolt. (Which begs the question, why use three 8mm dia bolts to fix it to the block...)
KDA4G
Club staff

Member No: 140
KDA4G's car profile

Re: V6 exhaust bracket - modification to prevent failure

Post Number:#17  Post by Bolin » January 15th, 2014, 6:11

Interesting Jake - I never noticed a rattle when I had a bracket that was missing one leg and the other was twisted with a broken bolt, so it wasn't doing anything at all. Perhaps the rattle develops over time if driven for too long without a bracket :o
One of Britain's Fine Cars
Bolin
Rep for Hampshire

Member No: 64
Region: Hampshire
Bolin's car profile

V6 exhaust bracket - modification to prevent failure

Post Number:#18  Post by Bolin » January 24th, 2014, 11:45

I shall try to get underneath and assess the space for having a larger if the weather holds out tomorrow. Not relishing it as I remember what a faff it was fitting the thing!
One of Britain's Fine Cars
Bolin
Rep for Hampshire

Member No: 64
Region: Hampshire
Bolin's car profile

Previous Page

Return to Current 75 & ZT Enthusiasts Projects