LOG ON REQUIRED!!

Sorry, but the menu you just clicked is non-operational for anyone who is not logged in. Already a member? Log on here. Not a member? Register here. There's lots to see and do once you are signed in!

Subscription required!

The Wiki and the VIN Decoder are accessible by subscribed members only. If you are subscribed, you can also choose to hide the WIKI/VIN panel and Quick Links menu

If you would like to subscribe, or simply see more information about subscribing, please click here

Edit your...

Find my posts

PM Options

Edit your...

View Memberlist by....

QUICK LINKS

Gauges playing up

Help and information for overseas visitors can be found here. Please ask!

Gauges playing up

Post Number:#1  Post by vitesse » August 13th, 2015, 7:18

Posting on behalf of our editor/treasurer Rover Club of Sweden who has the following question:

"Sometimes, in fact quite often, the temperature gauge in my 2004 Rover 75, 1.8T stops working while I’m driving. This even affects the fuel gauge which starts to go in the wrong direction. After re-starting everything works again until suddenly the problem re-appears. What’s happening? Thanks in advance".

I have advised the owner to try driving in diagnostic mode and see if he still gets a reading when his temperature gauge dies, indicating possible coolant sensor/wiring faults but why the fuel gauge plays up is beyond me.

Any ideas much appreciated.
vitesse

Member No: 237
vitesse's car profile

Gauges playing up

Post Number:#2  Post by KDA4G » August 21st, 2015, 7:48

As it's a 1.8T, it would be wise to check out the coolant level first, and check for trapped air anywhere in the system.

Next thing to do is to put the IPK into diagnostic mode. Run Test 2.0, which should demonstrate that both the guages are working correctly, as well as everything else. Maybe then check the two connectors on the back of the IPK are not loose. It's a bit tricky to pull the IPK out if you haven't done it before, and very easy to break the retaining clips. I don't know if it's possible to access it from underneath, just to check the connectors.

After that, your other approach is a good one - there are IPK self-tests for temperature, voltage, and fuel consumption, and these should all be showing sensible results. Only thing to bear in mind is that if you fill up with fuel whilst the IPK is in diagnostic mode, you'll probably create a fault code, but that doesn't really matter. There could of course be other fault codes on the IPK, but you'd need a diagnostic tool to read them.

Let us know how he gets on...
KDA4G
Club staff

Member No: 140
KDA4G's car profile

Gauges playing up

Post Number:#3  Post by Bolin » August 21st, 2015, 9:49

It is probably to do with the temperature sender and its wiring. My sender failed, showing normal temperature when the car was stone cold, and my fuel gauge went down as they are somehow linked. It sounds like the opposite failure condition is happening here - perhaps due to a dodgy connector?

I would do a battery-off reset first, just in case that clears it, given that you say the problem is solved by restarting. It may have an effect, you never know.
One of Britain's Fine Cars
Bolin
Rep for Hampshire

Member No: 64
Region: Hampshire
Bolin's car profile

Gauges playing up

Post Number:#4  Post by vitesse » August 22nd, 2015, 7:08

Many thanks for the input. The owner is keeping an eye on this post and I’m sure will get back with any news.

Not heard before about generating a possible fault code if in diagnostic mode, you learn something everyday. Appreciated.

Thanks Bolin for sharing your nearly identical experience. Yes, battery reset seems to cure all manner of gremlins but as you say it might be sensor (or wiring) connected.

The owner was in touch a couple of days ago but hadn’t had a chance to try the diagnostic mode as he was making the most of the summer temperatures and using his Spitfire (not the kind I first thought of but a Triumph) and very nice it is too.

Regards
vitesse

vitesse's car profile

Gauges playing up

Post Number:#5  Post by vitesse » October 7th, 2015, 7:15

Update (sort of)

Have been advised by the owner that the 1.8 is now laid-up for the winter and he's using his V6 instead. Hopefully he'll have another go at things after our very long winter.

Regards
vitesse

vitesse's car profile

Return to Overseas Section